Programme Day 2
Day 1 | Day 2
Registration and refreshments
Southeast Asia hot spot: Vietnam
For the last couple of years, Vietnam has topped the attractiveness rankings among investors. As some regional competitors start to fall behind, Vietnam is fast becoming a destination of choice for private markets and strategic investors alike. Not without its challenges, private markets activity is nevertheless robust. Our panel of leading GPs considers the best ways to harness the Vietnam investment opportunities.
- What are the key reasons for Vietnam’s rapid growth?
- Which sectors provide the best opportunities?
- Is the market becoming too competitive?
- What is the landscape for deal-flow, execution, and exits?
Delivering on the promise: Finding returns
With Southeast Asia’s undeniable growth and increased investor appetite comes expectations for returns. Although the exits have not been as many would have hoped, a wave of secondary transactions is likely to take place over the next few years. So far, with market listings across the region not being the most viable route to liquidity, a diverse panel of investors will discuss the landscape, the methods for achieving exits, and the best way forward to obtain liquidity:
- Has the region performed?
- Has the industry and the exit environment improved?
- What are the current challenges for exits?
- Are valuations a stumbling block to liquidity?
Networking coffee break
Private equity and managing the unknown
From natural disasters to man-made crises, businesses and investors have faced multiple setbacks in 2020. Dealing with disruption that can halt entire countries and economies requires a well-prepared crisis management plan and private equity investors need to be proactive and ensure they have the right strategies in place. Our panel discuss:
- What risk strategies investors in Asia should have given the multitude of natural and man-made crises (floods, bushfires, earthquakes, epidemic, protests)?
- Can portfolio diversification, multiple office locations and technology minimise the risk?
- How to hedge against the unknown and does this impact investment decisions?
- What sectors can provide opportunities?
LPs’ view: Forward movement?
In addition to a growing ecosystem, the macro issues we see elsewhere are resulting in Southeast Asia becoming a lower risk option and a tick in the diversification box. All of which provides an opportunity for the region’s GPs to further sell and capitalise on the growth story. This comes with a caveat, however, as a lack of track records, fragmented markets, and succession challenges persist across the region. LPs share their views on a range of topics, including:
- How can Southeast Asia benefit from market uncertainties elsewhere?
- What is the best approach to allocating funds for LPs? Is this likely to increase?
- Are GPs open to co-investment?
- Is ESG playing a larger role in asset allocation?
Networking lunch and close of conference