Wednesday, 10th October 2018
Registration and refreshments
LP-GP panel: The view on the Philippines
Although the industry is in a nascent stage, demographics and market fundamentals have been strong in the Philippines. Compared to other markets in the region, the Philippines might be lagging in terms of attracting allocations, but the potential is clearly there, so how do you gain access and what is the right level of exposure to gain risk-adjusted but meaningful returns? .
- How can investors turn long-term potential into reality?
- Where are the opportunities in private equity, venture capital, and credit?
- How do LPs view the Philippines as an investment destination?
- To date, have returns and portfolio performance been as expected?
- What are the main risks concerning LPs?
Moderated by: Geetali Kumar, Senior Investment Manager, Private Equity Asia (Corporates / Funds), DEG
Ralph Keitel, Principal Investment Officer and Regional Lead East Asia, Private Equity Funds, INTERNATIONAL FINANCE CORPORATION
Florian Marquis, Senior Vice President, Private Equity Asia, PARTNERS GROUP (SINGAPORE)
Chris Teoh, Executive Director, TAEL PARTNERS
Alasdair Thomson, Managing Partner and Co-Founder, SIERRA MADRE
Cross-border M&A spotlight
Despite the global political and trade challenges, cross-border deals continue to be on the rise in Southeast Asia. Local companies that have found success domestically are looking for overseas growth opportunities, as they look to expand and spread their business risk across many geographies and economies. Inbound investors are attracted by the solid macro and consumer landscape, and the opportunity to utilise their expertise and connections to propel local businesses into bigger and better entities. A panel of experts will discuss the following topics and how the region can prosper.
- How should you manage the rise of political and macro risks?
- What are the dynamics in the marketplace, and what is driving cross-border deals?
- What geographies and sectors are proving to be the most attractive?
- How can private equity play a role as a partner to strategic investors?
Moderated by: John R. Spence, Regional Head, M&A and Strategy, Asia, GENERALI ASIA
Rafael J Consing, SVP and Chief Financial Officer, INTERNATIONAL CONTAINER TERMINAL SERVICES, INC.
Michael H. Guarin, Partner, KPMG PHILIPPINES
Martin Lichauco, Managing Director, CRESCENT POINT
Mark P. Serrano, Managing Director and Founder, MALIA PRIME INVESTMENTS
Networking coffee break
Capturing the infrastructure wave
With the government unveiling a big infrastructure drive worth over US$160 billion, the role of private investors in closing the funding gap has become more apparent. Building the new airport in Manila is an interesting case in point of how private investment can gain access to large-scale opportunities and help infrastructure development. A panel of international infrastructure experts will share their thoughts on the topic and discuss:
- What are the priority projects for investment?
- What private investors can offer in addition to funding?
- What subsectors provide the best opportunity?
- How are PPP projects coming along?
Moderated by: Rohit Nanda, Senior Vice President, Head - Principal Investments, SUMITOMO MITSUI BANKING CORPORATION
Marie Natalie J. Collado, Director and Head of Project Finance, BPI CAPITAL CORPORATION
John Faye, Senior Director, Infrastructure Investments, CDPQ ASIA PACIFIC
Daniel Mallo, Head of Energy, Infrastructure and Metals & Mining, Asia Pacific, SOCIETE GENERALE ASIA
Ferdinand A. Pecson, Executive Director, PPP CENTER
Robbie Antonio, Founder and CEO, REVOLUTION PRECRAFTED
The role of venture capital in the digital economy
Venture capital has come to the fore in the Philippines – propelled forward by a youthful population, rising disposable income, and growth in smart phone use. At the heart of this rise is a strong entrepreneurial culture enabling the local ecosystem to grow. A panel of leading experts will discuss how the Philippines can emulate its rivals through entrepreneurship and investment, as well as some of the pitfalls that need to be avoided to ensure a sustainable start- up community in the years to come.
- How is the venture capital landscape developing?
- What can be done to enhance the local ecosystem?
- Where do the strategic investors from the rest of Asia fit into the ecosystem?
- How do you close the gap in late-stage funding?
Moderated by: Kay-Mok Ku, Managing Partner, GOBI MANAGEMENT (SOUTHEAST ASIA)
Manny Ayala, Managing Director, ENDEAVOR
Michael Lints, Partner, GOLDEN GATE VENTURES
Dan I. Siazon, SVP & Treasurer, KICKSTART VENTURES
The business of lifestyle
With rising wages and the growth of the middle class, more discretionary income has become available for leisure pursuits. This shift in consumption provides an opportunity for traditional and online players – including F&B, tourism, sport and entertainment, luxury, wellness, beauty, fashion, and the arts – to capture 103 million plus consumers in the Philippines and expand across the region. A panel of industry experts will discuss:
- How have consumer patterns changed over the years?
- Which local consumer businesses have grown and expanded overseas?
- What is the size of the opportunity in the segment?
- What other verticals are attracting investment?
Moderated by: Minette Navarrete, President, KICKSTART VENTURES
Paulo Campos, Co-Founder and CEO, ZALORA PHILIPPINES
Sherwin dela Cruz, Co-Founder & Country GM, IFLIX
Reese Fernandez-Ruiz, President and Co-Founder, RAGS2RICHES
Mica F. Tan, CEO, MFT GROUP
Networking coffee break
Fintech in the Philippines: Unlocking the potential
The fintech revolution is underway, and the Philippines burgeoning fintech ecosystem is attracting significant interest from both regional and global players. Penetration of smart phones, the Internet, and social media has enabled this revolution; and combined with the universal availability of infrastructure providers, such as payment processors, logistics providers, and digital marketing partners, it is proving to be a fertile ground for start-ups to scale.
- What is the current fintech landscape?
- How can the regulatory framework help fast-track industry growth?
- What are the trends to watch this year?
- How best to capture the unbanked population?
Moderated by: Enrique Y. Gonzalez, President and CEO, IP VENTURES GROUP
Ramon L. Jocson, Executive Vice President, BANK OF THE PHILIPPINE ISLANDS
Mikko Perez, Founder and CEO, AYANNAH
Anthony Thomas, President and CEO, MYNT
Ronald M. Tucker, President, AUSTRALIAN DIGITAL COMMERCE ASSOCIATION (ADCA); Founder, BIT TRADE AUSTRALIA
Lito Villanueva, Managing Director, FINTQ BY PLDT; Chairman, FinTechAlliance.PH
Close of conference and cocktail reception