Day 1 | Day 2
Wednesday, 4 December 2019
Registration and refreshments
Inside credit: The rise of private debt and distress
Interest in Asia’s credit and special situations space has increased dramatically, with India at the forefront. Demand for structured financing is well-established and it has prompted numerous firms to introduce private debt verticals. India’s insolvency legislation is a more recent phenomenon, yet one that could deliver substantial restructuring and turnaround opportunities, if executed properly. Our experts examine the market potential.
- What is the bigger opportunity – direct lending or corporate restructuring?
- Has the NBFC segment overcome its IL&FS-related crisis of confidence?
- What challenges remain around the insolvency and bankruptcy legislation?
- How does the risk-return profile vary across different credit segments?
Moderated by: Tarana Lalwani, Director, INNOVEN CAPITAL
Anurag Das, CEO and Managing Director, INTERNATIONAL ASSET RECONSTRUCTION COMPANY
Kanchan Jain, Managing Director, BARING PRIVATE EQUITY ASIA
Arun Saigal, Managing Director, BARCLAYS
Interviewer: Tim Burroughs, Managing Editor, ASIAN VENTURE CAPITAL JOURNAL
Interviewee: Raghav Bahl, Head of Investments for India, ALIBABA GROUP
Networking coffee break
ESG in India
Institutional investors have made ESG a higher priority, which means PE firms must do the same. A broad policy on responsible investment is a start, but many LPs now want to see evidence of how protocols are being implemented and the impact they are making in terms of sustainability and economic returns. Leading private markets professionals discuss industry best practices.
- What are the main challenges to implementing an ESG policy in India?
- How do GPs assign responsibility for this area internally?
- Is there enough of a focus on inclusion and diversity?
- What do LPs look for during ESG due diligence on a manager?
Moderated by: Deepak Bhawnani, CEO and Managing Director, ALEA CONSULTING
Rahul Agarwal, Director, QUADRIA CAPITAL
Santhosh Jayaram, Partner and Head – Climate Change & Sustainability Advisory, KPMG INDIA
Rahil Rangwala, Director, India Programs, MICHAEL & SUSAN DELL FOUNDATION
William Yea, Principal. COLLER CAPITAL
Global LPs on India: Predicting the future
Twenty years after private equity first found a foothold in India, is it finally coming of age? Strategies are more proven, the teams that remain are more stable, and more time and resources are being devoted to value creation. On top of that, the macro story is robust. International LPs discuss what Indian managers must do to make the good times last.
- How does the current vintage compare to the previous one?
- Can India deliver a sustainable stream of exits?
- Country manager or pan-regional manager, or both?
- Are Indian deals generating more co-investment?
Moderated by: Dominic Goh, Principal, HARBOURVEST PARTNERS
Neha Grover, Regional Lead - South Asia, IFC
Eric Marchand, Principal, UNIGESTION
Gene Pohren, Managing Director & Co-Founder, 57 STARS
Vivienne Watganai, Vice President, HAMILTON LANE
Networking lunch and close of conference