09:30Regional and global private equity insights: Moving the needle on diversity and inclusion
The upheaval and disruption caused by the pandemic and various social justice movements globally has had a significant impact on the private equity industry. Private equity firms are now increasing their focus on diversity and inclusion initiatives due to increased pressure from institutional investors and LPs, as well as heightened expectations from employees. While the conversation and progress in Asia may be slower, the momentum will undoubtedly continue to build. Our panel of regional and global GP leaders will share their companies’ initiatives, and discuss how private equity firms can provide the catalyst for change during these pivotal times.
- How has COVID-19 impacted the industry’s progress in moving the needle on diversity and inclusion, and how have conversations and initiatives been progressing in Asia?
- What best practices and strategies have GPs and LPs put in place to look at diversity and inclusion beyond gender, in areas such as ethnicity, age, background, education, and skillset?
- Are Asian GPs feeling increased pressure from their regional and global LPs to make real progress in diversity, especially given the past two years?
- Moving forward: What are senior private equity leaders doing in Asia to ensure that they meaningfully back up their commitment to diversity, instead of treating it as a tick box exercise?
Networking coffee break
10:45Implementing diversity and inclusion into the venture capital ecosystem
According to a recent human capital survey, the venture capital industry has made some progress in terms of advancing gender and racial diversity at the firm level in recent years, with higher representation of women in both junior and senior level positions, and with more firms implementing internal diversity and inclusion strategies. However, much more must be done to support women and minority entrepreneurs, particularly in light of COVID-19, where statistics have shown that venture capital funding for female founders dropped to a sobering 2% during this period. Our panel of leading regional venture capital investors and entrepreneurs will highlight their journeys, including their experiences and challenges in fundraising, and their thoughts on how the industry can move forwards.
- Building the pipeline: The business case for why diversity in the venture capital industry leads to better returns, performance, and enhanced innovation.
- How can the Asian venture capital industry help create an inclusive environment for female/minority entrepreneurs?
- Are venture capital firms in Asia increasingly monitoring diversity and inclusion within their portfolio companies?
- What are some successful examples of female-founded funds in the region that have invested in female-founded/diverse companies?
11:45Presentation/case study: The case for gender lens investing in Asia
Led by an investment expert, this session will cover the growing conversation surrounding gender lens investing in Asia, why this investment strategy is gaining momentum, as well as fundraising opportunities and challenges in the region.
13:00Recruitment and retention in a post-COVID-19 environment
As the next generation of employees entering the workforce seeks out more diverse and inclusive workplaces, the private equity industry must continue to devote resources to ensuring that they recruit, retain, and manage their next generation of talent through a multi-faceted approach of expanding their hiring pool, fostering an inclusive internal culture, and increasing gender and ethnic minority representation within the firm. However, true change can only come from a top-down approach. Our panel of private equity leaders and professionals will discuss their strategies and insights towards paving the way for future generations.
- How have working practices and talent retention changed since the beginning of the pandemic, especially as women have been disproportionately affected, and what are some of the new challenges firms are facing?
- How do approaches differ between small/mid to large private equity firms when it comes to recruitment and retention?
- How can senior leaders effect policy changes at their respective firms, as well as set the tone from the top?
- What are some of the diversity and recruitment initiatives in Asia that have made concerted efforts to bring about concrete change?
15:00Private equity LPs: Advancing the diversity agenda
Spurred on by the pandemic and societal movements in 2020, global LPs have increasingly prioritised and stepped up the pressure on their GPs to take diversity and inclusion seriously. According to a recent report conducted by The Institutional Limited Partners Association, many LP signatories have implemented various actions in the past year, including assigning senior-level accountability for diversity and inclusion, as well as promoting diversity at the portfolio company board level. However, as a major influence on GP behaviour in the industry, much more needs to be done. Our panel of global and regional LPs will discuss and debate the best practices to enhance diversity and inclusion in Asia and beyond.
- How are LPs engaging with external managers and portfolio companies, and has the conversation shifted in the past year to encompass diversity beyond gender equality?
- What have LPs been doing internally within their organisations to promote diversity and inclusion?
- What are some of the challenges LPs have faced when pushing diversity and inclusion targets and initiatives in Asia?
- What are lessons that Asian LPs can learn from their Western counterparts when making diversity efforts?
Roundtable discussion sessions and cocktails
Moderated by industry leaders, these discussion groups will cover different facets of the industry to encourage discussion between attendees.
- Building your network: Making industry connections and finding allies in your company.
- Preparing for interviews and presenting yourself for a promotion.
- The importance of mentoring and reverse mentoring.
Close of conference
An error occurred trying to play the stream. Please reload the page and try again.Close